- It’s official: SiriusXM’s acquisition of Stitcher has been completed.
- From Media Matters, the left-leaning media watchdog organization: “Media Matters has identified four major platforms — Spotify, Vimeo, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts — where QAnon content is flourishing. These platforms must follow other tech companies’ lead and commit to swiftly banning all QAnon content; anything short of that will only further enable the spread of this inherently dangerous conspiracy theory.”
- From Vanity Fair: “Fyre Festival’s Billy McFarland Has Recorded a Podcast From Prison.” Sure, why the hell not.
- From NME: “Kanye West says he is guesting on ‘The Joe Rogan Experience’ podcast this week.” …. sure, why the hell not.
- By the way, I’m thinking about making next week’s issue of 1.5x Speed spooky-themed for Halloween, so I’m on the hunt. Please send me picks for particularly scary pods or episodes, if you’ve got one.
In tomorrow’s Servant of Pod… Hanif Abdurraqib is on the show this week. The poet, essayist, cultural critic, and all-round multihyphenate is currently moonlighting as the host of the third season of KCRW’s spectacular Lost Notes podcast, which he curated in its entirety, pulling together a gorgeous collection of stories that stem from the year 1980. The season dropped in full a few weeks ago, with episodes about Minnie Riperton, Stevie Wonder, Joy Division’s Ian Curtis, and an outstanding story pairing the fates of John Lennon and the punk legend Darby Crash.
I’m a huge fan of this podcast, having named the second season as my top podcast pick for last year. And guess what? I love this new run as well. It fuckin’ rules.
You can find Servant of Pod on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or the great assortment of third-party podcast apps that are hooked up to the open publishing ecosystem. Desktop listening is also recommended. Share, leave a review, so on.