May 31, 2019
- Infinite Dial is expanding to South Africa as part of a partnership with the National Association of Broadcasters of South Africa, for what they’re saying will be “the first comprehensive measurement of the digital audio media behaviors of South Africans”. Can’t wait.
- Producer Nick Hilton has written an interesting piece reflecting on his first year trying to run a solo, editorial-focused podcast company in the UK. “The market is shaping up to be much less indie, much less counter cultural, much less innovative, going forward,” he says.
- If you have half an hour, get really stuck into these graphs.
May 30, 2019
- I’m paying close attention to the current episode of fights and tensions over the Apple app store — as it finds itself up against antitrust efforts and an EU investigation — and its position as a probable monopoly. From The Verge: “Apple’s latest defense of the App Store just shows how hard it is to compete with Apple.” Pair that with this Bloomberg piece, “Inside the Apple Team That Decides Which Apps Get on iPhones,” and this Fortune piece, “Is Apple’s App Store a Monopoly? Workers at These Tech Companies Think So.”
- From The Guardian: “’A white-collar sweatshop’: Google Assistant contractors allege wage theft.”
- From Slate: “Goop’s New Podcast for Men Is an Extraordinarily Goopy Response to the Culture of ‘Toxic Masculinity.’”