Keep an eye out: Last Thursday, Allusionist’s Helen Zaltzman flagged on Twitter that there’s a YouTube channel re-posting video repackages of episodes from a variety of podcasts without permission — which, you know, isn’t legal. A good deal of those videos have since been taken down following copyright strikes, but it’s an event that’s nonetheless worth flagging. I don’t think this is a particularly new scam, as I seem to recall having seen something like this a few years ago, but I can’t quite find any older write-ups on the problem…
- Edison Research’s The Podcast Consumer 2019 report, which expands on the Infinite Dial findings, will drop on April 11. You can register for the webinar here.
- Recode appears to be on the hunt for the Host and Executive Producer of its upcoming flagship podcast, which it’s developing with Stitcher on the same deal structure used for Vox’s Today, explained.
- From Variety: “Production-finance company Buffalo 8 is launching Freewater Creative Development… Companies hire Freewater to assess their intellectual property and identify potential opportunities within it for web series, episodic TV, film, documentaries and podcasts. Freewater then develops projects in conjunction with the companies.” The name to watch is Kyle Ryan, the VP of TV/Film Development at Onion, Inc.
- From Adonde Media: “Podcasting in Puerto Rico: past, present, and future.”
- Podcasts: an undervalued political communication tool? Perhaps… perhaps not. [h/t ZK]
- Pinna, the Graham Holdings-owned kids-centered paid podcast platform, announced a new slate of comedy podcasts, which includes three Pinna originals plus Kyle’s Wild World and WNYC Studios’ This Podcast Has Fleas.
- The show goes on, despite the union fight: Gimlet will launch a new show, Motherhood Sessions with Dr. Alexandra Sacks, on April 11.
- Spotify’s Jemele Hill is Unbothered will go live on April 15.
- Unqualified Media dropped its new celebrity show, Minor Adventures with Topher Grace, over the weekend, and recently announced a new project with Alyssa Milano.
- WNYC Studios has a new project with Kai Wright, called The Stakes, that’ll come out April 23.
- Pushkin Industries’ first new property, Against the Rules with Michael Lewis, will debut this week.
- The third season of Dan Taberski’s Headlong anthology series will be out on April 23.
- Shouts to This is How We Die, which is scratching the itch left by KPCC’s The Big One.