Caroline Crampton is a UK based journalist who has been writing about podcasts since 2014. Her journalism has appeared in publications including the Guardian, Lenny, the New Statesman and the Millions. She is a regular speaker and media commentator on the state of the podcast industry.
– Netflix has announced its first scripted podcast. As in, its own original podcast.
– Spotify’s limited Kids app release… and more!
There’s been an exciting development for UK podcasting: last week, Sony Music announced a joint venture with the UK audio producer Renay Richardson, which will result in a London-based production company called Broccoli Content. It’s the first such venture by Sony Music outside of the US, and as far as I can tell, it’s one […]
The British podcast sitcom Wooden Overcoats has racked up plenty of plaudits since its first series was released in 2015, including a Best of iTunes slot and a British Podcast Award. Its creators were relatively early into the now-booming fiction podcast scene, but the show still stands out — especially in the UK — because of […]
– If you’re based in the UK or have visited this month, you might have heard some government sponsored ad spots on commercial radio stations and Spotify on how to prepare for Brexit.
– The BBC this week launched its first interactive voice news service… and more!
Hillary Frank, the public radio veteran whose first story aired on This American Life in 1999, started The Longest Shortest Time, her podcast about parenthood and the universe therein, back in 2010. And it’s coming to an end this year, with the first episode of its final season coming out tomorrow. To mark the show’s […]
Having to explain what a podcast is in a professional setting may not be a new experience to many Hot Pod readers. There are the more direct versions of this, where you need potential guests to understand where their interview will be broadcast or you’re answering a query at a family gathering as to why […]
– Spotify and Vice News have announced the launch of three new original podcasts
-A more digital BBC
– The Financial Times has launched its first subscriber-only podcast… and more!
Journalists write about new stuff. I know this: I’ve been both a writer and an editor for over ten years; I’ve had my pitches for pieces about cultural things that are cool-but-ongoing turned down, and I’ve passed on similar ideas from others in turn. Perhaps it used to be the case in podcasting — as […]
I can’t help but feel sympathetic towards anyone launching a new daily news podcast at the moment. It’s a really tough gig, partly because of the existing landscape they’re entering — The Daily has two million listeners a day and counting, with a style that newcomers often feel they must either closely imitate or consciously […]
– BBC StoryWorks, the branded content division of BBC Global News, has released the results of an intriguing and slightly terrifying study into the effectiveness of podcast advertising
– Podcast upfronts… in the UK
– 2 Pods 2 Crypto